Pages Tagged With: "Old State House"

The Old State House

Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware’s capitol during the United States’ critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933. Phase II Reopening FAQ




Portrait of George Washington

After the death of George Washington in December 1799, the Delaware General Assembly, immediately upon convening in January 1800, resolved that a portrait be commissioned “in consequence of the eventful and ever to be lamented death of the late illustrious chief and friend of America General George Washington.” Denis Alexander Volozan (born Lyon, France, 1765; […]




The Old State House History

The Old State House was the first permanent capitol building in Dover, Delaware. Begun in 1787 and completed by May 1791, this Georgian-style structure was originally home to both state and Kent County governments. The first floor of the Old State House features an 18th century-style courtroom while the second floor features the former chambers […]




Gallery: The Old State House




Group Tours

Large groups that are interested in a tour must make reservations in advance by calling the First State Heritage Park Reservation Line at (302) 739-9194.




Our Museums

John Dickinson Plantation John Dickinson, known as the “Penman of the Revolution,” was one of America’s founding fathers who wrote of freedom and liberty for all while holding human beings in bondage. The John Dickinson Plantation was home to a variety of people. We tell the stories of the tenant farmers, indentured servants, free and […]




Division notes passing of Curt Stickel, former historic-site interpreter

Stickel served at The Old State House and the Delaware Archaeology Museum in Dover between 2002 and 2013.




EVENT POSTPONED–Post Cards of the Past” presentation at Dover, Del.’s Old State House on May 1, 2016

Sunday, May 1, 2016 event to be rescheduled.




Gov. Markell pardons Underground Railroad conductor Samuel D. Burris

Delaware man was convicted on Nov. 2, 1847 of aiding slaves escaping from their owners.




National park interpretive signs unveiled on Dover Green

Signs tell the story of The Green’s role in Delaware history.