The Old State House

Follow us on:

Facebook Icon

Image: Old State House Senate Chamber

Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware’s capitol during the United States’ critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933.

Museum History

More information about the history of the The Old State House


The museum is open to the public and admission is free. Donations are appreciated.


Free, but limited, street parking is available in front of, and around, the State House


The first floor of the State House is accessible to people with disabilities.

Frequently Asked Questions

No, guests may visit the museum anytime during normal hours of operation.

Tours are offered on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Tour lengths can vary but will last no more than forty-five minutes.

No, reservations for groups are only available over the phone at this time.

Restrooms are not available at the Old State House. Please use the facilities prior to your arrival.

Tours are guided by a historic-site interpreter with options for self-guiding in some areas of the building.

Hours of Operation

Wednesdays through Saturdays, tours at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Call 302-744-5054 for more information.

Touring the Old State House

Tours take place throughout normal operating hours. However, large groups that are interested in attending a tour must make reservations in advance by calling the First State Heritage Park Reservation Line at (302) 739-9194. List of available Group Tours.


25 The Green
Dover, DE 19901

Contact Information

Phone: (302) 744-5054
Group tour reservations: (302) 739-9194

Related Topics:  ,