Skills and Areas of Interest
Knowledge and passion for Delaware history. Ability to communicate well and speak in front of an audience is a plus! Docents must be enthusiastic, reliable, and willing to learn. They should have an interest in working with people, especially students of all ages and individuals of diverse backgrounds. Experience in education, teaching, and/or prior work as a Docent/Interpreter can be helpful, although not required.
All museum sites throughout the state of Delaware.
We will try our best to accommodate the volunteer’s schedule, however our schedule is limited to the time in which our museums are open for tours. Operating hours vary depending on the museum and can be found on Our Museums Page.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Aid the on-site staff.
- Familiarize public and offer general information about the museum.
- Stay informed about museum services, schedules, and activities.
- Assist with special projects and/or events.
- Attend docent trainings and workshops.
- Ensure displays and artifacts are not vandalized or stolen.
- General cleaning and housekeeping.
- General administrative tasks such as answering telephone calls.
- Other opportunities which have been discussed, assigned, and agreed upon between the volunteer and the site supervisor.
All potential volunteers are required to complete a volunteer application.
Volunteers will report to the on-site supervisor and to the Volunteer Services Coordinator.
Opportunity to help Save Delaware History!
This volunteer opportunity may require long periods of time standing or on your feet. The majority of this work is indoors, in our museums. All museums are temperature controlled.