Masks are required inside all state buildings as of August 16 for all people over 2 years old. More Info
The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs recently completed repairs to a deteriorating section of the New Castle Academy’s garden wall located on Harmony Street between Third and Market streets in New Castle, Del. The work, which began on June 8, 2020, consisted of cleaning, raking, repointing and repairing the stone and brick on both sides of the wall to restore its appearance and condition. The repairs complement similar work that was completed on the Third Street portion of the wall in December 2015.
Located at 31 E. Third St., the New Castle Academy was built in 1799 according to a design by Peter Crowding, a Philadelphia master builder. It served as a public school until 1930 when the New Castle High School was built. The property is currently leased to Immanuel Episcopal Church which utilizes it for many church-related and community activities. The building is one of four historic properties (The Green, New Castle Court House Museum, Arsenal and Academy) that the division administers in Delaware’s original capital city which also serves as the headquarters of the First State National Historical Park.