Division’s museums now open for self-guided tours by appointment More Info
A new exhibit, entitled “Wilmington—Industrial Powerhouse,” opened to the public on June 21, 2017 at the Kalmar Nyckel Foundation’s Copeland Maritime Center located at 1124 E. Seventh St. in Wilmington, Del.
The exhibit highlights 125 years of industrial production and the four major manufacturing plants that dominated an outsized portion of America’s shipbuilding and railcar history between 1836 and 1945— Harlan and Hollingsworth, Pusey and Jones, Jackson and Sharp, and the Dravo Corporation—and the workers who built 10,000 ships and 30,000 railcars.
The exhibit was financed, in part, with funding from the National Park Service’s National Maritime Heritage Grant Program which is administered in Delaware by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. However, the contents or opinions contained in the exhibit do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the National Park Service or the division.