Renovations continue for Fenwick Island Lighthouse

Visitors to Fenwick Island will notice that the Fenwick Island Lighthouse is getting a new coat of paint this summer.

The lighthouse will also undergo minor repairs to the top of the tower, repairs to the wooden window frames and windows, replacement of the storm windows as well as a recoating of the entire structure. While the building itself will be closed to the public while work is underway, the newly renovated and restored Fenwick Island Lightkeeper’s House next door is expected to be open, where the “New” Friends of Fenwick Island Lighthouse will be available to share historical information about the site.

This black-and-white image shows the Fenwick Island Lighthouse in 1913.
The Fenwick Island Lighthouse in 1913.

The renovations to the lighthouse come on the heels of work at the Light Keeper’s House that’s been ongoing for years. Those changes included the demolition of non-contributing features, installation of new shake siding, and extensive interior and exterior work. 

The most striking difference is the addition of accessibility ramps, pathways and doors for visitors and a redesign of the exterior fencing. The new visitors center will be occupied by the “New” Friends of Fenwick Island Lighthouse and is home to an interpretive space. To learn more about the site, summer hours and contact information, go to

Related Topics:  , , , , , ,