|Governor Jack Markell
Governor Jack Markell with HCA staff members at the July 19 signing ceremony. From left: archaeologist Alice Guerrant, HCA Director Tim Slavin, archaeologist Gwen Davis, Markell, architectural historian and tax credit administrator Joan Larrivee, archaeologist Craig Lukezic, and architectural historian Jesse Zanavich.
In a ceremony held on July 19, 2010, Governor Jack Markell signed into law an extension of the Delaware Historic Preservation Tax Credits, a Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs-administered program that offers state tax credits to property owners for expenses incurred during the rehabilitation of historic buildings. Originally set to expire on June 30 of this year, the tax credits have now been extended for an additional ten years.
Since the inception of the program in 2001, state tax credits of $35 million have spurred more than $166 million in private investment, supporting 2400 jobs in the rehabilitation of seventy-five historic properties across Delaware.
"This program has demonstrated a range of benefits over the past decade, but they can be summed up as: Protecting and creating jobs while preserving our shared historical heritage," Markell said. "Each year, hundreds of carpenters, plumbers, steelworkers, electricians, painters, and restoration experts will be at work restoring unique historical buildings. They're restoring or improving the character of neighborhoods and making our state even more attractive to new employers."
The signing ceremony was held at Spruce Acres, a Camden, Delaware property owned by Andy and Jennifer Nowak which was rehabilitated in 2007 at a cost of $224,000, offset by a State Historic Preservation Tax Credit of almost $45,000.
Go to the following for more information on the signing ceremony including comments by State Senator Margaret Rose Henry and State Representative E. Bradford Bennett (the sponsor and co-sponsor, respectively, of the legislation to re-authorize the tax credit); State Representative Don Blakey; and Delaware Secretary of State Jeffrey W. Bullock.
|Lithograph of "His Master's Voice"||The origins of one of the world's most recognized trademarks—the iconic image of a mixed fox/bull terrier looking into a phonograph—will be explored in the program "Delaware Art Works: His Master's Voice" that will take place on Saturday, August 7, 2010 at the Johnson Victrola Museum, located at 375 S. New St., between North St. and Bank Lane, in Dover, Delaware. Activities will take place between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., with a special children's art program from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
"Delaware Art Works: His Master's Voice" will shine a spotlight on English artist Francis Barraud and the painting that he created of his brother's dog Nipper which later became the internationally recognized trademark of the Victor Talking Machine Company and its successor, RCA Victor. One of the twelve original versions of this painting is a part of the collections of the State of Delaware.
"Delaware Art Works" is presented in conjunction with "First Saturday in the First State," a monthly series of events sponsored by the First State Heritage Park. Admission for all programs is free and open to the public. For additional information, call the First State Heritage Park Welcome Center and Galleries at (302) 744-5055.
|Francis Barraud with his painting "His Master's Voice."|
|Thomas Sully|| On Saturday, August 7, 2010, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., The Old State House, located at 25 The Green in Dover, Delaware, will present "Delaware Art Works: The Commodores," a program on the English-born, American artist Thomas Sully (1783-1872) whose creations include portraits of two of Delaware's heroes of the War of 1812—Commodores Jacob Jones and Thomas Macdonough.
Sully's portraits of Jones and Macdonough were commissioned in 1814 for placement in the House chamber of The Old State House where they are still displayed. One of the oldest state-house buildings in the United States, The Old State House served as Delaware's capital from its completion in 1791 until 1933 when the General Assembly moved to larger quarters in Legislative Hall. The building features a courtroom, governor's and county offices, and chambers for the state's Senate and House of Representatives.
"Delaware Art Works: The Commodores," is presented in conjunction with "First Saturday in the First State," a monthly series of events sponsored by the First State Heritage Park. Admission for all programs is free and open to the public. For additional information, call the First State Heritage Park Welcome Center and Galleries at (302) 744-5055.
| Portrait of Commodore Jacob Jones by Thomas Sully.
Portrait of Commodore Thomas Macdonough by Thomas Sully.
|DelDOT archaeologist David Clarke discusses the Wilson Farm Tenancy Site display with Congressman Michael N. Castle at a preview opening of the Delaware Welcome and Travel Center on June 18.||The recently re-designed Delaware Welcome and Travel Center, located between exits 1 and 3 along Interstate 95 near Newark, is currently featuring a display case containing artifacts and information on the Wilson Farm Tenancy Site located on Choptank Road west of Middletown. The site's primary components date from the late 19th through early 20th centuries when it was occupied by tenant laborers or farmers. The archaeological evidence suggests the tenants were African-American.
The Federal Highway Administration and the Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) funded archaeological investigations of the site in consultation with the State Historic Preservation Office as per the provisions of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. The Wilson Farm Tenancy Site exhibit will remain on display for about one year, at which time DelDOT plans to install archaeological materials from another of its projects.
|In a July 14, 2010 ceremony held at the Hagley Museum in Wilmington, the New Castle County Historic Review Board presented the 2010 New Castle County Historic Preservation Awards to the following recipients:
Debra Campagnari Martin, Wilmington historic preservation plannerFor a press account of the awards, go to the following:
With a little help, New Castle County revives preservation awards
News Journal, Wilmington, DE—July 13, 2010
|Stephanie Meeks||In an announcement distributed on June 14, 2010, the National Trust for Historic Preservation named Stephanie Meeks at the organization's eighth president.|
|Greenbank Mill located along the lower Red Clay Creek.||Denis Hehman of the Village of Marshallton has recently created a website that explores the lower Red Clay Creek in New Castle County. Hehman has been advocating for the creation of a greenway that would link a number of historic sites along the waterway.|